FROM THE DESK OF ANN M. CARDON…
April 27, 2017
This is my favorite time of year – trees blooming, warm sunshine, and longer periods of daylight – but it is also one of the busiest times for a school.
Here is a quick snapshot of some things happening around the district:
· We started our mandated state testing for students in grades 3-8 and grade 11, our students taking AP courses at the high school are gearing up for their AP exams, seniors are making final decisions about college – and we have already experienced prom 2017. WOW!
· Fourth grade students have been practicing their recorders and are wowing audiences with their patriotic concerts.
· Fifth grade students will all be visiting Upton Middle School in the next two weeks to begin the important transition process of leaving elementary and moving on up to the middle school!
· Our third, fourth and fifth grade students are anxiously awaiting the famous John Hall Elementary Track Meet – this is always a fun day for students, staff and parents.
· Upton Middle School students are getting ready to present “High School Musical, Jr.” in mid-May. We had so many students who wanted to participate we had to move the performance to the John and Dede Howard Auditorium at the high school.
· The Upton Middle School Science Olympiad team is headed to Lansing this weekend to compete in the state tournament. This is their eighth appearance at this competition.
· Our Average Joes Robotics team is competing at the FIRST Robotics Championship this week for the world title in St. Louis. If you are interested and have the time, here is a link to the live feed – we do not have a firm schedule for them – but preliminary times for today and Friday are as follows:
Thursday, April 27 Friday, April 28
(Central Time Zone)
2:36 p.m. 9:44 a.m.
3:56 p.m. 10:48 a.m.
4:36 p.m. 2:26 p.m.
· Our marching band uniforms were old to say the least. With the help of the St. Joseph Public School Foundation and the Band Color Run fundraiser, we were able to order new uniforms for the band members and they will proudly wear these new uniforms at the Blossomtime parade.
Enjoy the spring weather; there is so much to look forward to in the upcoming weeks!
Your partner in education,