Fun Facts About St. Joseph Public Schools, est. 1837
- First school board meeting April 10, 1837.
- A contest was held during the 1933/34 school year to decide on a mascot. The vote between the Vikings, Seagulls or Bears.
- The current fight song was written in 1940 by then band director Franklin "Red" Wilste. There were two other fight songs before this one. "The Yellow and the Blue" was written in 1915 by Oscar Hatch Howley. Click here to download the sheet music.
- 1972 was the 100th class graduated from SJHS
- 2022 will be the 150th
- Maize and blue became the school colors in approximately 1913.
- Below is an article published in the Herald Palladium in January of 1981. (This is local attorney, Bob Ehrenberg's great aunt)
- First yearbook, "The Crescent" was published in 1910. Click below to view on-line.
- The Crescent Society began at SJHS in 1891.Originally designed as a debate group it eventually became more like a student senate, funding events and items for the school.
- Gillespie's Drug Store was an advertiser in the 1915 Crescent (yearbook)